Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fusing the Recycled Pendants

Alright, so I recently fused together a chunk of recycled glass (yesterday, actually) because I didn't want to throw it out. Since I'm a hasty person, I've already cut up all the glass and I'm ready to throw it back into the annealer!

Everyone, and I mean everyone, has said it looks like candy, to which I completely agree. The longer I spent time with it, the more I wanted to bite into it! Ahem, to be frank, at least three people have bitten it, just because for some reason you can't resist checking to see if it really is candy or not.

That's a good sign, right?


Definitely looks like something tasty you'd get out of a pinata. This is the most colorful recycling I've ever seen!


In this kiln I also threw in a quick color test! I've got my designs all troubleshooted for another series I'm going to start, so it's time to pick the colors (which is so scary).

The far left is Aquamarine Blue (G22) again, the second in is Dutch Blue (RW84), followed by Opaque Aquamarine (RW85) and Reddish Violet (RW88).



Thu March 28
Mercedes
1) 01 ↑ 745°
2) 11 @ 745°
3) 12 ↓ 516°
4) 1:12 @ 516°
5) 1:30 ↓ 390°
6) 2:00 ↓ 60°

I didn't like that the bumps from the saw were still protruding (the saw always takes an uneven chip out at the very end of the cut), so I sent them back up, this time to 750° for 10 minutes.

My absolute favorite is Aquamarine Blue, by far! The Dutch Blue follows up as being okay, just awfully purple. The Opal Aquamarine is awful though, it's very dull and I dislike that. I don't know when I'll ever have a reason to use it!