Monday, March 25, 2013

Fusing Recycled Glass; Green Test; Firing Pendants

This firing had a few different things going on inside of it.

First; a small run of regular green farm pendants, so I can appropriately note the firing temperatures.

Second; I want to do a series of farm-friendly words that are green powder on clear glass. Roxy let me try out two of her colors. The one on the left is Dense Green (RW 75) (also known as 'Medium Green Yellow on Colour Fusion) - I love it, but it's too limey for this specific intent. I really want to keep track of this color for later though! The color on the right was Celadon Green (G 135) - I suppose I underestimated how delicate the color was and didn't put nearly enough on, so you can barely even see it!

I'm glad Roxy let me test run her powder, because RW 75 was the exact color I was going to try for! The solid glass version looks just like my green farm sheet glass. Either that, or the label is wrong, I won't know for a long time haha.

Third; When I popped into the charging room one day I found a beautiful sheet of fused glass, one that Paul didn't like and was just going to chuck into the furnace. For Gaffers (our fundraising group at school), I cut up the glass and threw it into a kiln so we could make some neat, recycled pendants!

I should note that this glass was so thick from being fused together that I couldn't score and cut it - I ended up taking it to the wet saw and just slicing it up at random.

As you can see there's no holes in them yet. This is just after I pulled them out of the annealer so they were still warm.

The annealing schedule, unfortunately, is completely unusable! I didn't realize it for a long time, but I hadn't properly shut the door of the Large Paragon, so the kiln kept giving up at about 500 degrees and crashing back down. I thought the poor annealer was on it's last legs or something, and I kept changing the max temperature and sending it up and up and up (of course it wasn't actually going up). The last schedule I was on before figuring out my issue was;

Wed March 20 / Thur March 21, 2013
Large Paragon
1) AFAP ↑ 770° for 40 min

- and then I checked on the kiln and holy moly it was hot hot hot! Everything looked plenty melted so I just crashed that baby right down to 516° and ran it on a regular annealing cycle.

Unfortunately for me, the Large Paragon has crappy digitry, and many of the little lights are burnt out, so I don't know exactly what temperature it was at, or if it was at 770 and had been on hold for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment