Friday, September 7, 2012

Different Ways To Create Molds

In my searches for art made using natural texture I amply happened upon these links, showing varying ways to make molds. I think they're most wonderful and I'm planning on investing in lego immediately!

Fossil Mold

Julia Swan, March 11, 2011 (fossil, silicone, aluminum flashing)

Plaster on top of silicone
Paleontologists set up aluminum flashing barriers and pour silicone and plaster molds of fossils. If I ever happen across a fossil I now will definitely take a mold of it. However, I simply wanted to make a note of the aluminum flashing that they use to create their mold barrier, as the molding process is clearly every bit important to kiln casting as is the texture and the final outcome.
 
 
Lego Fossil Mold
Andrea Godinez, December 20, 2011 (lego, silicone)

Two part fossil mold, half encased
An apparently common practice of building lego walls for silicone and plaster (with Vaseline) molds. The important note is for the ease of lego walls!

Puppet Hand / Lego Barrier
David Neat, April 19, 2012 (lego, plaster, silicone)

Polymer puppet hand in mold

First off, I highly suggest you view this link, because this person went into a LOT of detail and I can't possibly explain what they do, especially not with a single photo! A lego mold is set up to assist in the creation of a two part mold. I believe this process is made much easier by the fact that after pouring one half and doing as you please with the first half of the mold, all you have to do to add onto it is add one more layer of legos! It’s also a wonderfully easy way to create a perfect two part mold one object half at a time – whereas normally you would have to stand the hand up vertically, create awkward flashing and hand build the mold on each side!

No comments:

Post a Comment